LV21 Service History

TIMELINE
1963 Jun
1963 Dec
Handed over to Trinity House
1976
Stationed at East Goodwin
1980
1981 Jun
1988
Converted to automatic lightvessel, Newcastle
1995
Stationed at Channel
1997-01
Stationed at East Goodwin
2003
Stationed at Seven Stones
2008
Decommissioned by Trinity House, Swansea depot
2009 Dec
2016 Sep
St Andrews Quay, Gravesend
2024 Nov
Historic Dockyard, Chatham
Technical data
Length o.a.:
133 feet (ca. 40,54 m)
Length:
114 feet (ca. 34,75 m)
Beam
26.5 feet (ca. 8,08 m)
Draft:
12.5 feet (ca. 3,81 m)
Commissioning Authority:
Trinity House, London
Year of construction:
1963
Shipyard:
Philip & Son, Dartmouth
1330
Material:

1969

1972

1973
1973

1975

1980

1986

1988

© Jason Arthur 2019

Brian Packham recounts the events of Sunday June 28th 1981 when LV21 was involved in a collision with the Ore Meteor.

With the help of the Association of Lighthouse Keepers and the Friends of St. Mary’s Island LV21’s original optic was donated back to the ship in February 2013

Derek Grieve, the last Master of LV21 on the Newarp station, recounts stories of life onboard the lightvessel.